History and Tradition

1896 -
    First Stock Show takes place in March on the banks of Marine Creek in North Fort Worth, second show held October 12-13 to coincide with the National Livestock Exchange Convention meeting; October 12: first parade opens the Stock Show
1898 -
    Local commercial merchants become involved as exhibitors at the Stock Show
1901 -
    The Stock Show officially adopts name: Texas Fat Stock Show
1903 -
    Armour and Swift packing companies relocate their plants to North Fort Worth, formal opening coincides with opening of the Stock Show
1904 -
    Bill Pickett, “The Dusky Demon” who invented bulldogging, demonstrates his “bulldogging” act at the Stock Show
1905 -
    “Roundup” or ranch work demonstration billed as “Wild West Performance”; premiums and prizes are officially sought for first time from breed associations so that cash awards can be given
1907 -
    First admission charged: 25 cents; The Stock Show Association forms; first formal horse show directly connected to the Stock Show; October 4: cornerstone is set for Northside Coliseum
1908 -
    The Northside Coliseum, site of the annual cattle show, was billed as “the most opulent and dynamic livestock pavilion in the entire Western Hemisphere.” The Coliseum featured enormous skylights, patriotic flags and bunting, and incandescent lights. – Northside Coliseum completed as show’s headquarters in February: Samuel Burk Burnett, founder of the famous 6666 Ranch, becomes the show’s president; show opens under new name: National Feeders and Breeders Show
1909 -
    The grand champion barrow was a prime specimen at the National Feeders and Breeders Show in north Fort Worth. The event later became known as the Fat Stock Show and is today called the Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show. First time show runs concurrently with Texas Cattle Raisers Association Meeting; March 15: parade featuring almost 40 Comanche and Kiowa braves led by Chief Quanah Parker; March 19: first and last time prize show bulls are featured in parade
1910 -
    Going to the horse show was a “fashion statement.” Shown here are the latest fashions of the day: high crowned wide brimmed felt hats, high heeled boots and, for the ladies, split riding skirts. – First automobile exhibit opens at the Stock Show this year.
1911 -
    Purebred cattle, such as the Hereford breed, were represented at the first exhibition in north Fort Worth. March 14: Theodore Roosevelt, former president of the United States, is guest of honor at the Stock Show
1913 -
    Baby Beef Clubs, the forerunners of 4-H Clubs, sprang up around the country in the ‘teens. The clubs aimed to involve youngsters in educational programs furthering the livestock industry. The first annual meeting was hosted in Fort Worth. The Stock Show’s evening performance opened by President Woodrow Wilson pushing a button in the White House, the button “turns on” the electric lights of the Coliseum.
1916 -
    Miller Brothers 101 Ranch Wild West Show, held in the Coliseum during Stock Show, featuring performers Zach and Lucille Mulhall, whom Will Rogers had named “the first cowgirl”
1917 -
    Mulhalls return with their version of a Wild West Show; first “indoor cowboy riding contest” staged
1918 -
    When the rodeo was added to the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show, crowds increased. Opening day of the rodeo was the unquestioned highlight of the year for thousands of people. Stock Show adopts Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show as official name. The Northside Coliseum hosts the first indoor rodeo event as “strickly a contest”; events include ladies’ bucking bronco, junior steer riding, men’s steer riding and bucking bronco.
1920 -
    A bevy of glamour girls lined up by the stock pen fence at the Stock Show Rodeo. Tad Lucas became one of the world’s most famous cowgirls. Brahman bull riding introduced to the Stock Show by rodeo producer Verne Elliott
1922 -
    Marion Samson Sr. becomes the Stock Show’s president
1923 -
    Van Zandt Jarvis becomes the Stock Show’s president – he served for 17 years until his death in 1940
1927 -
    Side-release bucking chutes introduced by Verne Elliott, producer of the Stock Show’s rodeo. Bareback Bronc riding added to rodeo events
1932 -
    First live radio broadcast of a rodeo on the National Broadcasting Company network through Amon Carter’s Fort Worth affiliate WBAP (We Bring A Program)
1938 -
    Turtles, a cowboy association, establishes official list of rodeo events in January: Bareback Riding, Calf Roping, Saddle Bronco Riding, Bulldogging and Steer (or Bull) Riding
1940 -
    John C. Burns becomes the Stock Show’s president
1943 -
    No Stock Show due to World War II
1944 -
    The Stock Show moves to Will Rogers Memorial Center; Gene Autry becomes the first entertainer to appear at a rodeo
1945 -
    Rodeo Cowboys Association national offices open in Sinclair Building in downtown Fort Worth
1946 -
    The Stock Show celebrated its golden (fiftieth) anniversary. The show had moved from the Northside to the West Side of Fort Worth, the current site of the Will Rogers Memorial Complex, in 1944. As the livestock barns were not built, the cattle were sheltered in brightly colored tents. Here Linda Baker shows Puddin’, her prize winning steer. W.R. Watt becomes president of the Stock Show – he served until his death in 1977
1947 -
    Will Rogers “Riding into the Sunset,” bronze statue created by Electra Waggoner Biggs through a commission from Amon G. Carter Sr., dedicated in November; Amon G. Carter, Sr. becomes Stock Show’s first chairman of the board
1948 -
    Comedians Hoyt Heffner, Hank Mills and John Lindsey “successfully” wrestled a steer. Cattle Barns 1, 2, 3, 4 and Sheep and Swine Barns open
1949 -
    Barn 5 opens to house horses for equestrian competitions during the Stock Show
1956 -
    Barn 6 opens to house livestock exhibits during the Stock Show; James M. North Jr. becomes the Stock Show’s chairman of the board
1958 -
    Fort Worth Rodeo became first to receive complete live national television coverage; guest stars Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were hosts on NBC-TV with George “Gabby” Hayes and the Sons of the Pioneers; Amon G. Carter, Jr. becomes the Stock Show’s chairman of the board
1959 -
    Connie Swinford’s Grand Champion Steer sold to Amon Carter, Jr.
1963 -
    Barn 7 opens to house livestock exhibits during the Stock Show
1964 -
    Old Round Up Inn Building which housed Stock Show offices, is built
1965 -
    Special entertainment at the rodeo included this unusual riding team of Zippy riding a Scottish Sheepdog. The animals were owned and trained by Tom Lucia of Weatherford.
1972 -
    Barn 8 opens to house livestock exhibits during the Stock Show
1977 -
    W.R. Watt, Jr. becomes the Stock Show’s sixth president
1983 -
    John Justin becomes the Stock Show’s chairman of the board
1984 -
    “Midnight,” a life-size, bronze statue of one of the most famous bucking broncos created by Jack Bryant through a commission from Amon G. Carter, Jr. in 1982, is dedicated to Carter; Amon G. Carter Jr. Exhibits Hall opens
1987 -
    The Stock Show adopts Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show as official name
1988 -
    Will Rogers Equestrian Center opens
1996 -
    The Stock Show celebrates it’s Centennial Anniversary. Charlie & Kit Moncrief Building opens this year which includes the nearly 1,000 seat W.R. Watt Arena. The bronze statue John Justin and “Baby Blue” is also erected this year and the Stock Show has a record paid Rodeo attendance of 152,989.
1999 -
    The Will Rogers Memorial Center gets a new “front door” which was the 2,300 square foot ticket office and Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau information center.
2001 -
    Ed Bass is named Stock Shows’ Chairman of the Board.
2002 -
    Stock Show expands schedule to 23 days and features it’s new Ranching Heritage Weekend. A record 951,000 visitors attended the show.
2004 -
    Records were established with over 24,000 head of livestock entered and 14 livestock sales that generated $4,322,675.
2005 -
    The Moos Brothers, the official Fort Worth Stock Show Ambassadors, are helping spread the word that the Stock Show is the place to enjoy plenty of fun and family entertainment. From the educational exhibits to the livestock barns or the ever-popular midway rides, there’s something for everyone.

    Easily identified by their attire, Hoss Moos insists on a cowboy hat while Elwood Moos prefers a gimme cap. These Tarrant County natives are fun-loving bulls that will devote their lives to promoting the Stock Show.

2006 -
    Stock Show added the sport of team roping to the PRCA event line up. It was held off-site until accommodations could be made in the Coliseum for the 2007 Stock Show.
2008 -
    Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo inducted into Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame.
2010 -
    Upon the retirement of W. R. Watt, Jr., Bradford S. Barnes named President/General Manager
2011 -
    25th Anniversary of Fort Worth Calf Scramble
 
2012 -
    Annual Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo breaks an all-time attendance record – hosting 1,166,000 patrons during the 23 day run (January 13 – February 4, 2012).
 
2013 -
    1st annual Junior Agricultural Mechanics Show held in newly constructed Equine Multipurpose Facility – over 350 entrants take part.

    Stock Show Rodeo introduces ‘SCORE IT!’ as a new function of the smartphone application – allowing fans to score rides and guess times during each rodeo event. A first for the Rodeo industry.

    A single day attendance record of 157,800 patrons is set, February 2, 2013.